Yellow School Bus
Some students who are designated to the various programs at Woodman have access to register for the yellow school bus, through Southland Transportation. Students who are not eligible by program and address to ride the yellow school bus may consider applying for a Conditional Rider status. Please contact Ms. Samson in the main office for more information.
We want students to have a safe and pleasant experience on their rides to and from Woodman. Students riding on the bus must remember that school rules also apply when riding the bus. The bus driver has an important job of driving the bus, while also supervising a large number of energetic students to and from school. Please be advised that:
- The driver is in full charge of the bus and his/her directions must be followed.
- The driver will report any misconduct to the Administration of the school concerned who will then take appropriate action.
- The driver may assign specific seats to students at any time.
- The driver has the right to determine whether or not there is sufficient space on the bus for students to bring large band instruments.
- While the bus is in motion, students must not extend arms or heads out of the windows.
- Students must not throw paper or other waste materials on the floor or out of the windows of the bus.
- While on the bus, students must conduct themselves in a quiet and courteous manner, showing consideration for the comfort and safety of others.
- Scuffling, fighting, smoking/vaping, and the use of obscene or disrespectful language on the bus are prohibited.
- Students will not distract the bus driver with unnecessarily loud conversation.
- Students causing willful damage to a bus will be held financially accountable.
- When leaving the bus, students must observe the instructions of the bus driver. They should not cross the road without having a clear view in both directions.
- Continued violation may lead to the loss of riding privileges or to suspension from the school.
Students involved with extracurricular activities (ex. sports, band) outside of regular school hours will need to arrange for transportation to and from the building. Students need to be picked up from these activities immediately once they end.
Considering the close proximity of the school to key bus stops and train stations, many Woodman students access public transportation as a means of commuting to school. We expect that students will display good character and citizenship, representing the school in a position light. Students are encouraged to look out for each other to ensure as pleasant and safe a commuting experience as possible. Note that students are subject to all of the bylaws outlined by Calgary Transit. Failure to follow their guidelines may result in infractions by a Calgary Transit Peace Officer.
The monthly student pass rate for Calgary Transit is $82/month. More information about 2023-2024 transportation service levels and fees are posted on the Calgary Transit website.
Other Modes of Commuting to School
Some parents drop off and pick up their children in personally-owned vehicles. We request that all City of Calgary bylaws by respected, in order to ensure that student pedestrians remain safe and that neighbor driveways and alleyways remain unblocked. The Calgary Parking Authority and Calgary Police Service have increased their presence in school zones and will ticket any infractions, including the 30 km/hour school zone speed limit.
Note the CBE signage at the entry to the staff parking lot that prohibits any parent parking or the drop-off or pick up of students.
Students who commute to school independently are encouraged to find active modes such as walking, skateboarding, longboarding, rollerblading or cycling. These activities are only permitted while commuting to school and are not permitted while on school property. The use of helmets for all users under the age of 18 is a legal requirement. Skateboards and longboards and bicycles must be securely locked in the designated locking systems of the courtyard. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen items.